Top 10 Things to do in Albany
There truly is something for everyone in Albany. From gourmet wine-lovers, to intrepid 4WD explorers, to backpackers – and everyone in between. Here is our top 10 things to do in Albany.
1. Drive along the beautiful Princess Royal Drive for a truly spectacular view.
2. Take a detour along the way up Apex Drive to visit the National Anzac Centre to experience the legend of the Anzacs during the First World War. Afterwards, head up to the Mt Clarence Desert Corps Memorial and Padre White Lookout for amazing million-dollar views of Albany. Visit Western Australia’s first line of defence set up on Mt Adelaide, the Princess Royal Fortress.
3. Visit Little Beach, recently named one of the best beaches in Australia.
4. Stake a patch of white sand at Middleton Beach. Swim in the shelter of Ellen Cove, or walk towards Emu Point until the surf beckons. Embark on the Middleton Beach boardwalk, a must see for all visitors to our city.
5. Taste our award-winning wines, spirits, locally made beer, farm fresh yabbies and trout, olive and sandalwood products. Try the freshly shucked Albany oysters, boutique goats cheese and much more!
6. Witness the elegance of giant windmills at the Albany Wind Farm, and the miraculous 360-degree views afforded by the surrounding walk trails.
7. Drop into some of our famous wineries for a wine tasting, or taste W.A.’s first single malt whiskey.
8. Discover the richness of Albany’s whaling history at the only museum of its kind in the world to be housed in a formerly fully-operational whaling station. Spot migrating humpbacks and blue whales from the shore, or see them up close on board a whale watching cruise.
9. Visit the new universally accessible lookout at the Gap and Natural Bridge in Torndirrup National Park.
10. Saturday or Sunday morning, Albany hosts bustling farmers markets (Albany Farmers Market and Albany Boatshed Markets) offering the freshest local produce and seafood, live entertainment and arts and crafts.